Cool Utility Classes For SwingX
If you liked the user interface of Artemis, you might probably want to be able to produce the same result at no cost. I have good news for you then because I have just added a set of cool classes to SwingX that will help you generate nice-looking graphical effects.
The new classes are available in three packages:
- Morphing2D: Morphes a Java2D shape into another (written by Jim Graham from Sun Microsystems)
- Star2D: A star shape that can be used to create Web 2.0-like badges and icons
- BlendComposite: A set of 30+ blending modes for Java2D painting (as found in Photoshop or The GIMP)
- ColorUtilities: A set of utility methods to manipulate colors
- GraphicsUtilities: A set of utility methods to create and load compatible images and create thumbnails
- ReflectionRenderer: Generates reflections from pictures
- ShadowRenderer: Generates shadows from pictures
- AbstractFilter: A basic implementation of BufferedImageOp to easily create new image filters
- ColorTintFilter: This filters applies a color to an image to tint it
- FastBlurFilter: A box blur filter
- StackBlurFilter: This filter approximates the result of a gaussian blur by applying several FastBlurFilter to an image
All these classes come from the SwingLabs incubator. Some of them have been available for quite a while now (ShadowRenderer used to be called ShadowFactory) but have been vastly improved. I have written the javadoc of all those classes but I have also created demos for the most important features. The demos source code is available in the incubator, in the fx/ sub-project but I have some WebStart versions for you!
Go grab the latest source code from SwingX's CVS and tell me what you think of those tools!