Google Images

Google recently updated Google Images and I wonder why they did what they did. The new version is indeed very trendy, with a brand new rollover effect on each displayed image. I have nothing against eye-candy but this one is very frustrating. Google Images used to show the name and the resolution under the picture. It still does. If you move the mouse over the picture.

The resolution was the single most important piece of information I use when I visit Google Images, because I am usually looking for the largest images I can find. This new “feature” just made my searches a tad more annoying. At least Yahoo! still has it right. I guess I will start using Yahoo! more unless I can find a GreaseMonkey equivalent for Safari or a way to disable JavaScript on Google Images only.

What do you think of this change? Do you like it?

P.S: Yes, the page does look cleaner without this extra information. But still :)

12 Responses to “Google Images”

1. weebib says:

IMHO, this change is both unnecessary and quite annoying for the very reasons you mentioned.

I think one way to solve this problem would be to allow for a more precise search in terms image dimensions. Instead of using fuzzy logic to define an image (“small”, “medium” or “large”), one could simply enter parameters such as minWidht, maxWidth, minHeight, maxHeight…

2. Andre Wilms says:

Yup, a very annoying update. At least, one can still sort of filter the results by looking for “large” images only.

3. Manfred says:

It still shows the information you want – if you disable JavaScript. IMHO a good thing to do anyway as the only use (as of now) of JavaScript at Google is tracking what you do.

4. Agustín Martín says:

it’s not really necessary to disable javascript, you could always choose to view the page with no style (at least in Firefox).

5. I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the change. My reaction was essentially “WTF?”

I wonder what prompted them to do this… I would understand if it saved space so you could see more images at once, but it doesn’t do that.

I’m betting it will be back to how it was within a couple weeks.

6. Robert says:

I always liked picsearch.. it will do what you want. I haven’t tried yahoo’s yet.

Thanks for the tips!

8. Actually, I have tried mailing Google about this. I mean, I was just as much displeased as you. But all I got was this:

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your note. As you’ve noticed, we recently made changes to the appearance of our search results in Google Image Search; we now display only image thumbnails and brief captions. You can access detailed information about an image by holding your mouse over the image or by clicking on the image. We’re always working to improve your Google search experience, and we hope these changes will help you more quickly and easily find images in our search results.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

The Google Team

Original Message Follows:
    From: Arno van der Kolk
    Subject: Re: Preferences for Google Image Search
    Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:18:39 +0100

Dear Google Team,

I’m starting to realize this is probably not the right way for me to
    correspond a problem I’m having, but I suppose someone will might get
    back to me when possible. My apologies if I’m mistaken.

Anyway, the problem I have is with Google Image Search. A while ago a
    small change has been made in the way search results are presented.
    Before, every image used to display the resolution it was in, which was
    quite convenient. I used that complete overview to find high(er)
    resolution versions of images I was looking for. Now I have to examine
    every thumbnail by placing the mouse cursor over it, to see what
    resolution each image is in. This is quite inconvenient!

Naturally, I prefer it the way it was, but maybe some user preference
    could be built into the system, so that each user can decide for themselves?

Again, I have no idea where else to leave this suggestion, so my
    apologies if this is not the right place.

Thanks in advance.

9. Kerr says:

Urgh, I hate it when companies reply with a stock answer that shows they have not bothered to read your mail. Frustraiting beyond belief.

I had an exchange with amazon a while back where I had to send everything twice because the first time would be answered with a stock response that I would follow up with, “No, please read the mail and anser the question.”

It’s like politicians, ignore the actaul question and answer teh one you wanted to asked instead.