Screenshots of New Swing Look and Feel Nimbus

Ben finally released some screenshots of what Nimbus, a new cross-platform look and feel for Swing, looks like. He also gives some interesting insight about the project.

Nimbus is a hosted project, as indicated by Infoworld (thanks to JPuppy for the pointer) and a beta version should be available, hopefully, for JavaOne.

Look at the pictures and tell us what you think of this new look and feel.

P.S: And the style of the picture above is a blatant rip-off of Scott’s Stevenson excellent designs :-)

9 Responses to “Screenshots of New Swing Look and Feel Nimbus”

1. David M. says:

Excellent! I like it… though I don’t know how the non-Mac users will find the Mac-like combo boxes…
    The smooth colors are well balanced and the blue shade is non distractive and very easy on the eyes. This is the kind of L&F that would probably make me reconsider JGoodies. (I really don’t know which one I would choose!)

2. Pär D says:

Looks great! Now if we could have substance’s menu search and tab extras it would be unbeatable! :)

I personally don’t find those features appealing and I don’t think they belong to the look and feel. You can still send us emails about that though but don’t count on it I’d say :)

4. me says:

Kirill is undeniably a good programmer, but his tastes on aesthetics are somewhat lacking… :P

5. realbadapple says:

This is excellent!! I love it! It comes a long way from the current drab default laf. I think with this laf you will see more people using it instead of other lafs. Now, when will we be able to get it? Is it available for anyone to try at, or do we need to request an active roll?

me: The latest themes are pretty good actually.

realbadapple: There’s still a lot of work to be done.

7. Jasper Potts says:

I have posted some screenshots of SwingSet running the new Numbus L&F on my blog.

8. Jasper Potts says:

I have put up a link to webstart version of SwingSet running Nimbus on my blog