Nimbus, Source Code and Demo

Jasper Potts published a few updates about the upcoming Nimbus look and feel. First off, you can try it out using the following Java Web Start SwingSet demo:

Launch

Nimbus

You can also join the java.net project to get the source code. Remember it’s still in early stages and there’s a lot of work to be done. Finally, watch Jasper’s blog for future information and updates about Nimbus.

20 Responses to “Nimbus, Source Code and Demo”

1. bugfaceuk says:

This is very interesting, we’ve just made a decision at work to support Windown L&F on Windows (but maintain the Metal L&F on all others), and had this come out with 1.6 we might have made a different decision.

Interesting.

2. jseltzer says:

I love it. Can’t wait to see more of it…trees, filechooser dialog and tables.

3. Peter Muys says:

Can’t wait for Nimbus to be finished. It would look great in my software.

4. Sakuraba says:

BEAUTIFUL !!!!

GREAT WORK !!!

I love it. This just HAS to be the new plattform-wide standard L&F if somebody chooses not to have the native system version.

Nimbus + Beans Binding + Swing Framework (maybe with java 7 closures for listeners?) + Java 6 Performance

== awesome!

5. Sakuraba says:

and the best of all that. Everything GPLd.

6. Jean-Yves says:

Oops… unable to try the demo :
    java.lang.Exception
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Launcher.java:891)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Launcher.java:515)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Launcher.java:218)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:165)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

7. Sam says:

I had the same exception. It occurred because I am running J2SE 5 instead of 6 which is required by the demo.

8. Farid says:

No question about that it sure looks great but I have one (little) issue about the JScrollBars.
    There’s something strange about the halved scrollbars, they look (to me) as if the viewport has been painted a little off its borders in the JScrollPane.

Anyway I’m a great admirer of you guys and it’s just that it has been nagging me (especially compared to the knob of the JSliders, I love the little round knobs)

Keep up the good work and I hope we’ll see lots of great Nimbus power apps in the near future !

9. wahid says:

very promising look and feel , well done to the developers on this project!

10. amr says:

Good joooobbbb !!!!
    Nice look I love it !!!
    I’m glad to be a swing developer !!!

Romain, I’m waiting for your RFC to be out!

11. Nicola Ken Barozzi says:

It’s a mixed bag: the tabs, the checkboxes, the scrollbars and part of the windows are utterly horrible, while buttons, sliders and radio buttons are really slick, although not completely refined.

It reminds me of Mozilla 1, which is not exactly cutting edge.

Compared to Synthetica BlueMoon, BlackMoon or OrangeMetallic it still seems too retro…

Nicola: Unfortunately, this look and feel was bound not to please every one.

13. Nicola Ken Barozzi says:

Romain: The problem is that I *like* the overall look and feel…

Tabs and window buttons are IMHO too rounded, and would be better having a less pronounced gradient. I think this is the reason I like the buttons and comboboxes instead.

The textfields are not rounded, and that again is nice and more pleasing with complex forms.

I like the screenshot with OpenOffice, but I dislike the SwingSet2 appearance…

The fact is that I’m convinced that Java on the Desktop needs a super look and feel to drive forward, and so I’m super critical on this one ;-)

14. Nicola Ken Barozzi says:

I’ve looked more closely at the screenshots of the look and feel and I’m now convinced that my concerns are mostly, if not all, due to the fact that the Swing version is not yet like the GTK one.

Sorry for the noise.

at javax.swing.JTable.updateUI(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTable.(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTable.(Unknown Source)
    at org.ifl.swing.Test.Test.(Test.java:141)
    at org.ifl.swing.Test.Test.main(Test.java:193)

16. dhilshuk says:

I am getting problem with JTable when using Nimbus LookAndFeel.
    Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NullPointerException
    at javax.swing.JTable.setSelectionBackground(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthTableUI.updateStyle(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthTableUI.installDefaults(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTable.setUI(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTable.updateUI(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTable.(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTable.(Unknown Source)
    at org.ifl.swing.Test.Test.(Test.java:141)
    at org.ifl.swing.Test.Test.main(Test.java:193)

17. peter says:

IMAO the scrollbar thumb is goofy looking.

18. frengo says:

Very promising laf! Just a question, trying to use nimbus on my own project i was not able to set Dimension of JScrollBar. Are there any reasons for that ?
    Thanks

19. Jewel says:

I have read alot of remarks expressing a dislike for the Nimbus scollbars. I have never seen scrollbars as unique and tasteful as these anywhere, and would advise to keep them. I would change the window decorations on InternalFrames, as they are not too original. The rest is excellent and the final touches are all that is necessary.

20. steffen says:

To follow, without halt, one aim: There’s the secret of success.