Extreme GUI Makeover 2007 Video #1

Download the first video of Extreme GUI Makeover 2007, presented at JavaOne. This video shows what happens when an exception is thrown internally. This effect was inspired by applications that display cryptic error messages meant for programmers only. Because those messages usually expose the internals of the application, we thought it would be a good idea to show all of the internals… The internals shown in the video are an accurate representation of the application’s source code: cranky, rusty, patched, full of holes and made of gears that barely connect to one another.

Extreme GUI Makeover

17 Responses to “Extreme GUI Makeover 2007 Video #1”

1. Augusto says:

I love this effect, even though you’ll never see a real app use it. I’m wondering what you used for the background animation though, is it something you made up an animated by hand (via Java2D)? It certainly doesn’t look like a video …

Speaking of useless effects, most of the ones you showed I can see being used in many real situations. The only one that would give an “interaction designer” a heart attack is the “shake” effect for text fields on invalid input. C’mon, you know that would annoy you to no end in a real app. Just admit it :-)

Augusto… do you seriously think that I expect any application to use this for real?? And this screen is all Java 2D.

3. Augusto says:

No, but you did seem serious about the “shaky” textfield! :-)

4. codecraig says:

nice one! can’t wait to see the code. great job, again.

5. Natasha says:

No, our source code is nothing like that… It’s more like this: picture. ;)

6. Farid says:

Augusto, you don’t seem to use Mac OS X a lot.
    What do you think happens when you enter an incorrect password in the login window ? Try to guess ! ;^)

7. Very nice effect! Congratulations! :-)

8. Hapepe82 says:

LOL! I *love* this animation, and I want it for my applications too!

Great, as always! ;)

9. Augusto says:

By looking around @ JavaOne, I must be the only Java developer around without a Mac.

I can’t believe they added that animation for getting the password wrong … well, maybe it is a good alternative in that case instead of making the user feel stupid with a threatening error message (or worse, dialog).

10. Dean Iverson says:

Over on the Swing app framework list, there has been some debate over the best way to install a global exception handler in a Swing app. What technique did you guys use for this application?

11. mchiareli says:

How you make a translucent windows…?

what so uses??

uses a glass panel to make this??

12. Dean Iverson says:

Never mind. I see from your slides that you’re using Thread.setDefaultUncaughtExceptionHandler(). The risk here, of course, is that your handler could potentially be lost if another exception handler is installed. But there really doesn’t seem to be a fail-safe way to ensure that you catch all exceptions all the time. Maybe we’ll have a better solution available in JDK 7.

Your extreme makeover session is the one session that I really regret having to miss this year. You can bet I won’t let it happen again next year!

13. carango says:

Hi Romain,

I was wondering if there is a video of the extreme GUI makeover 2007 presentation available somewhere. I just saw the PDF of the presentation at the sun site, but there is a lot of “Demo” slides that leave everything to “imagination”. Also, I would like to know if the actual application will be released to give people the chance to peek inside it.

C. Arango.

Yes, we will release the demo. No, there will be no video, only audio. That’s why you have to go to JavaOne. I’m sorry to say it, but we can’t give everything away for free :p

15. Eirik says:

Wonderful!!! Bookmarked this page that has this striking guidance. Will come back to see if there are any updates. You, the author, are a master. Thanks