First Steps With IntelliJ 7.0

I spent the whole day using IntelliJ 7.0 and so far I am very pleased with the update. Three major improvements are making my life much easier. First, the IDE seems faster and more responsive on some operations (on a project containing tens of thousands of files). Then the debugger offers a better layout and all the issues I had with it in IntelliJ 6.0 seem to be gone. Finally, the Perforce integration is finally on par with the rest of the IDE. Annoying bugs are gone and useful new features are available.

Thanks a lot to JetBrains for this very nice upgrade!

12 Responses to “First Steps With IntelliJ 7.0”

1. The new debugger layout turned out to be very questionable — 50/50 people either like it or want the old layout back.

If you have ideas how to make it even better — please drop a line.

I would have to think more about it but I can understand how on smaller screens the new layout can be hard to use. I tried it yesterday on a 15″ MacBook Pro and it was way too small. But on the MacPro’s 30″ screen I just love it :)

3. Wolf Paulus says:

Did you use IntelliJ 7.0.1 on a Mac? I have tried it on OSX 10.5 and switched back to IntelliJ 6.0.6 after just a couple hours. I found it extremely buggy and much slower. Given that 10.5 is pretty new and the included Java version also seems to have a couple major swing implementation changes, I cannot blame Jetbrains .. hopefully there will be another update made available soon.

I use 3 Mac machines, 2 on Tiger, 1 on Leopard. I’ve used IntelliJ 7 extensively on the 2 Tiger machines and quickly on Leopard but I haven’t seen any problem yet.

5. Kees says:

>(on a project containing tens of thousands of files)

6. Brandon says:

How does it compare with NetBeans?

7. Naiden says:

NetBeans is ugly, ugly fonts bad shortcuts strange italic texts VERY VERY SLOW JSP editor.
    i wonder more how it compear to Eclipse 3.3.1 + WTP

Thanks for this very useful comment Naiden…

9. Anton says:

Could you give some example application using intellij idea.
    please send to my email address.

10. Thierry says:

I transitionned from old intellij IDEA 5 to 7 [because I have add issues with 6 in terms of performance .. with my 2 years old machine].
    Just like you I did finf version 7.01 is very responsive. quite quick. I am also very please to have made the transition.

Ok, I have a new machine under Vista, so it did ease the performance level from my old machine.
    But still no dought about this : 7 is a very well tested version.

11. Tarek says:

By James Gosling
    The NetBeans IDE has really come a long way in the last few years. Since the first book was written, NetBeans has progressed from a tool with promise (from a small, young company in the Czech Republic) to one of the market leaders in the open source IDE tools space. It’s been like watching a child grow and mature over the years and blossom in ways you could have never predicted.

It’s a bit like watching Java grow. At first it was a language for the Internet and browsers. It was so versatile, people started using it in many ways. It developed into a great language for writing multitier applications. And then with J2EE, it created a whole new ecosystem of enterprise applications. Later, J2ME conquered the phone and mobility market.

NetBeans has been through a similar, multifaceted growth. With NetBeans IDE 4.1, one tool can manage the range of Java development. The IDE now adds J2EE EJB and web services development to the rich suite of development capabilities that service J2SE and J2ME.

I use NetBeans for all my Java development. The exciting new language features in J2SE 5.0 are fun to use and easy to develop with. One of the things that’s nice for me personally is that with each release, once I download it, it is ready to go. I don’t have go on a treasure hunt and assemble a particular set of plug-ins for me to begin development—as soon as I install NetBeans, I’m ready to start coding.

The PR people at Sun like to call me “the Father of Java.” Given that, NetBeans must be my first techno-grandchild. Enjoy all that NetBeans IDE 4.1 provides and the worlds it opens for you. Happy programming.

James Gosling
    May 2005

12. George says:

I agree with your review. I’ve been a long time license holder but only recently, in the last year, have I been able to use IDEA as my main IDE.

Important things for me:
    1) Maven integration is very slick
    2) Groovy plugin is really nice
    3) Really good analysis and re-factoring tools

I use OS X (leopard) and at first IDEA 7 was buggy. That is mostly resolved now except for a weird quirk when using Leopard’s spaces. I blogged about it and a good workaround here: