IntelliJ IDEA 8

I’ve been using IntelliJ IDEA 8 since its recent release and I love it. There are not many new features I will use but the UI and performance improvements are most welcome. Congratulations to the JetBrains team for another excellent release!

10 Responses to “IntelliJ IDEA 8”

1. Pop says:

I’ve had a try a time ago and indeed it’s a very powerfull tool, especially regarding refactoring. Sadly the tool of trade of the company I worked for was Eclipse and I couldn’t get away from having to use it.
    BTW, is there a way of integrating the ADT into IntelliJ IDEA?

(and just because you forgot it, the link ;-) )

2. Alexey Efimov says:

ADT – it’s is Android Development Toolkit?.
    If it is, then Dmitry Jemerov was started porting Android support into IDEA 8.
    This will be on board soon, keep updated.

3. Pop says:

yes, ADT is the Android Dev Toolkit.
    Thanks for the news about the port.

4. Gordon J Milne says:

I have been an IDEA user since version 5 when our new team leader suggested trying it out. It is amazing how quickly your subconscious learns the keyboard accelerators for the simpler refactorings.

However, I have noticed quite a bit of performance slow down with succeeding versions. V5 was nippy, as was V6. V7 was sluggish and one of my team reverted to V6 because of that. V8 seems to be better but I still get some long delays (seconds to minutes) when I switch back to the app after some time away from it. Even though I have disabled “synchronize on frame activation”.

FYI, I am developing on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with 2GB of DRAM and a vmoptions files with “Xms32m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=120m -ea”

Any ideas why so slow?

My main project is 1468 java files spread over 268 packages.

5. Mike says:

I’ve been using the beta 8s since they first went into the EAP program. Reason being is version 7 was completely incompatible with OS X 10.5. Let me just say, 8 is the slowest IDE I have ever worked with. Really it’s the pauses every time I type a few letters or switch to a different file. God forbid I switch to another app then back to IntelliJ. It takes about 90 seconds to recover from that.

I’m so so sad because I love IntelliJ. But it is just about unusable.

I use similar settings: -Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=200m. I run out of both PermGenSpace and Heap space if I use the defaults. Anything over 512m and everything comes crashing to a halt due to GC, I assume.

My main project right now is a 3 module maven2 project. All told, less than 1000 java and jsp files over less than 100 packages. What? Such a small project and bad performance?? THAT’S WHAT I SAID!

That’s weird because I had performance issues with IntelliJ 7 but IntelliJ 8 works just fine for me. And I have several dozen thousand files in the project.

7. Gordon J Milne says:

What hardware are you running on Romain?

Is is possible that my issues with IDEA-8 are really issues with our Windows XP environment at work. I have to say, running the same copy at home (no Windows Domain) does seem a lot better.

I use three different machines with IntelliJ:
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz with 2GB of RAM
    MacPro 4-cores 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM
    MacPro 8-cores 2.8 Ghz with 8 GB of RAM

9. John Landerson says:

I have a 2006 Macbook Pro (2.16 GHz/3GB RAM) and IDEA is terribly slow on it. What are your comments, Romain, on the MacBook Pro 2.GHz. I guess the 1066MHz front side bus must make all the difference.

10. Scott says:

I’ve been using IDEA 7 on a 2007 MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz w/ 4GB of RAM) and it is nearly unusable. The mouse and keyboard often become unusable for 10-30 seconds, and sometimes loading a big project takes several minutes. Simply ridiculous.

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to version 8 due to the new version’s incompatibility with one of the plugins we need for our webapp. If we ever move to a newer version of the plugin–or if the IDE gains that element of backward-compatibility–I’d love to try it.

I’ve never had a tool make me so unproductive. It’s completely unacceptable.